PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 23 April 2010 15:29

Pele returns from Valladolid suspension: “I did nothing wrong”

Midfielder in contention for Gijon trip

Having rejoined his Real Valladolid team-mates in training earlier this week after a disciplinary inquiry, Portuguese midfielder Vitor Pele insists that he was innocent of any wrongdoing.

The midfielder, who is on-loan from Porto, was suspended at the end of last month pending an investigation by the club into alleged breaches of discipline. Among the rumoured accusations were that Pele visited a nightclub in Salamanca the day before a match with Zaragoza, and smoked in the changing rooms following the team’s visit to Athletic Bilbao.

However, having been reunited with his colleagues at training this week, Pele strongly denies the claims. The 22-year-old also says he is ready to give his best to help the team make up the four-point deficit in their fight for survival in La Liga, starting with this weekend's trip to Sporting Gijon.

“The club initiated an investigation and suspended me from the squad because some people said they had seen me and others in Salamanca, for which they could not provide proof because there is none,” Pele told journalists on Thursday. “It’s all lies. Nor is it true that I smoked in the locker room or training ground, as has been said.

“I have a clear conscience and that’s why things haven’t gone as badly as people may think, because I have done nothing wrong, which is why I have returned to training with my team-mates, whereas I wouldn’t if I had done something. I do not expect to receive a fine.

“I will play (on Saturday against Sporting) if the coach wants me. I have been motivated ever since I arrived at Valladolid, even more so now after everything that has happened, and I will give my all along with my team-mates to get Valladolid out of this situation.”

By Sean Gillen

Keep up to date with all the latest news on Portuguese football with the new PortuGOAL Twitter!

Add your comment