PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 22 April 2010 21:29

Miguel defends attitude of Valencia team-mates

Portuguese expects to see out Valencia contract

Valencia right-back Miguel spoke to the media on Thursday ahead of a possible return to action against Deportivo La Coruna this weekend, having been out since last month with a knee injury.

The former Benfica man has missed the last three weeks, during which Valencia have won just two of the seven matches played in his absence. The most recent was a 2-0 defeat to Real Madrid at the Bernabeu, and the nature of the performance has provoked criticism of the players from the Spanish press.

However, while admitting that Los Ches have struggled for form, particularly away from home, Miguel refutes suggestions that his colleagues have displayed a poor attitude. “I wouldn’t say it’s the attitude, but it shows that when conceding a goal, the team give up, whereas at the Mestalla, where we have the support of our fans, it’s the reverse ,” he said.

“I think that all teams go into a game wanting to win. I saw Sunday’s game and I thought the team was fine. I also believe we could have done more, but it’s not the attitude. Many players are injured; others are tired: Mata, Silva; and Bruno has played in not the best condition. There are many reasons, but I think the attitude is good."

Miguel is expected to return this weekend against Deportivo, in what he expects to be a tough encounter. “Will I play 90 minutes? I don’t know, but I want to help the team in this difficult time and, if it is necessary, I will try.

“We have a lot of respect for their team. We were the team that was knocked out of the cup by Deportivo. We have not beaten them yet this season and we know it is going to be a very difficult match.”

With financial problems almost certain to pressurise Valencia into major player sales this summer, Miguel is one of many on the list of possible departures. “I’ve got a two-year contract with Valencia,” he said. “I think I will finish it, but it does not depend just on me.

“It’s a situation (the speculation) that bothers me, but I try to be calm and not think about it. Last summer the press said I wouldn’t stay in Valencia for different reasons, and here I am. If this year I do not stay at Valencia, I hope that things are done in the right way.”

Finally, when asked if he expected to be in South Africa this summer, Miguel responded: “I think I will play in the World Cup, that’s what I’ve been told. But I don’t know what will happen tomorrow and everything could change.”

By Sean Gillen

Keep up to date with all the latest news on Portuguese football with the new PortuGOAL Twitter

Comments (2)
/
2 Thursday, 22 April 2010 23:36
Always liked this player. Even though he smokes he is still a better fit over Bosingwa. Wish him all the best.
Miguel
1 Thursday, 22 April 2010 21:43
Let's all hope that Miguel is 100% fit for the World Cup because when he plays for Portugal he gives his all. We miss Bosingwa but Miguel has proven to us before that he wants to win.

Add your comment

Name/Country:
Subject:
Comment: