PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 16 September 2009 14:06

Neca looking to leave Ankaraspor after relegation ruling

Midfielder hoping to stay in Turkey

Portuguese midfielder Neca Fernandes says he is looking to leave Turkish side Ankaraspor, after the capital team were demoted to the second division over links with another top-flight club.

A probe was launched by the Turkish football authorities last week into the relationship between Ankaraspor and city rivals Ankaragucu. Suspicions first arose when the son of the city’s mayor was appointed chairman of Ankaragucu. With the mayor already honorary chairman of Ankaraspor, suggestions of a merge began to gain speed.

Suspicious transfer activity between the clubs, including the sale of Ankaraspor’s two best players to Ankaragucu on the final day of the transfer window, continued to fuel media reports of wrongdoing, and the Turkish Football Federation ordered the procedure to be halted, saying that the process was “damaging the competition in the country’s football”.

Ankaragucu were spared relegation, but board members were suspended for three months according to Tuesday’s ruling. "The Professional Football Disciplinary Committee (PFDK) decided to relegate Ankaraspor by one division over its relationship with Ankaragucu, ruling that it was contrary to sporting competitiveness," the PFDK ruling said.

Neca, who has been with Ankaraspor since 2008, quickly expressed his desire to leave the Yenikent Asas Stadium. “I do not want to stay at Ankaraspor. I am going to find a new club, because I have no intention of playing in the second division,” said the 29-year-old, who revealed that he plans to remain in Turkey.

Related article: Neca making waves in Turkey

Add your comment

Name/Country:
Subject:
Comment: