PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 14 April 2010 17:19

“No regrets over Portsmouth move” - Ricardo Rocha

Portugal move not on horizon

Former Portugal international Ricardo Rocha says he is happy with his decision to make a mid-season switch to troubled Premier League club Portsmouth.

Rocha spent the first half of the campaign with Belgian champions Standard Liege, but after leaving the club on a free transfer, opted to move to Fratton Park. It is the second time Rocha has made the move to England, having spent 18 months at Tottenham Hotspur before leaving last summer.

Portsmouth have been dogged by financial problems throughout the season, and a nine-point deduction has led to early relegation to the Championship for next season. Despite a difficult start to life with Pompey, including two red cards, Rocha says he does not regreat the move, and would like to stay in England beyond this summer.

“I play regularly and on a personal level the season has been going very well,” Rocha said. “It’s true that Portsmouth are facing a dramatic situation, but personally I am not sorry to have moved to England.

“I knew that Portsmouth were experiencing a difficult situation, but I did not think it was so serious. It’s been a great experience, learning to live with the other side of football.

“I would like to stay in England. With Portsmouth? I don’t know, we’ll have to wait and see. With all sincerity, I like being at the club. Return to Portugal? It is not in my view. I feel very happy abroad.”

Earlier this season, shortly after having moved to Standard, Rocha admitted that he still harboured hopes of being involved with Portugal at the World Cup. However, the 31-year-old now accepts that it is extremely unlikely that he will be in with a chance of earning a place on the plane to South Africa.

“I think it is impossible (for me to go to the World Cup) no matter how much I would like it.  I did not play in qualification and it’s normal that the coach uses players who have participated in that stage. To be present at the World Cup is not part of my plans.”

By Sean Gillen

Keep up to date with all the latest news on Portuguese football with the new PortuGOAL Twitter!

Comments (1)
Go to Braga
1 Wednesday, 14 April 2010 18:28
If he’s willing to take the pay cut to play in the second division why not just go back one his old teams like Braga. They could use some experienced players like him next season. He would get some playing time. Good opportunity to play one last time in the CL.

Its always disappointing when you hear about players that don’t want to finish their careers in Portugal. I guess if he has such a dislike for Portugal, I'm very glad he isn't getting a call up.

Add your comment

Name/Country:
Subject:
Comment: