PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 25 August 2011 10:30

Mallorca’s Nunes considered quitting after injury scare

Good injury news for defender

Veteran Portuguese defender Jose Nunes says he briefly considered retiring from football after it was feared he had suffered a serious knee injury. However, with doctors confirming that the damage is not as bad as first feared, the Mallorca captain is looking forward to returning to action.

Nunes suffered the injury earlier this month, and initial suspicions were that the former Braga man had damaged his anterior cruciate ligament, and could be out for the rest of the season. Better news followed for the 34-year-old, who underwent an operation on Monday and received a far more positive prognosis, with suggestions that Nunes should return to action before Christmas.

“The day of my injury, I thought I may have to quit football,” Nunes said. “I thought it would be difficult to come back, because I am 34 years old. After that, I started to be more positive. I told myself I would have my surgery and recover. It was not easy to come to terms with.

“I am delighted because it is not as serious as first thought, so I am very excited and optimistic.

“I don’t know exactly how long I will need before I am ready to play again. The doctors have told me that in these situations you usually have to wait between two and three months. I am in good hands and believe everything will go well.”

Follow PortuGOAL on Twitter and Facebook

Comments (2)
I'm glad
2 Thursday, 25 August 2011 22:25
Good news. He's a solid player and a great leader for his club.
Nunes
1 Thursday, 25 August 2011 16:12
I always thought this guy had the chops to play for the seleccao. It's too bad we're stacked at CB

Add your comment

Name/Country:
Subject:
Comment: